Questions for Your Pastor
I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
— II TIMOTHY 4:1–4
The duty of a theologian, however, is not to tickle the ear, but confirm the conscience by teaching what is true, certain, and useful.
— JOHN CALVIN
THESE QUESTIONS concern current issues in the PCA. You need to know where your pastor(s) stand on these issues. Please approach them graciously and with respect for the important church office they hold. We encourage you to 1) meet with your pastor in person, 2) bring someone with you, 3) pray together before you meet, and 4) take notes.
- Is the Bible without error in its original version?
- Is the Bible clear and sufficient for faith and practice in our present culture?
- Should culture be considered when interpreting the Bible? If yes, how is this done?
- How does one interpret the Bible without damaging its authority?
- Do you subscribe to the Westminster Confession of Faith (WCF)?
- Do you hold to strict subscription, full subscription, or good faith subscription?
- Do you believe the WCF is the best summary of Christian doctrine for twenty-first century Presbyterian churches? If no, what is our best summary of doctrine?
Mission & Worship
- What is the mission of the church?
- Are the church’s mission and evangelism the same?
- Should corporate worship, style and content, be designed for unbelievers as well as believers? If yes, how is this done?
- What is your opinion of the PCA Strategic Plan?
- Do you believe homosexuality is sinful?
- Do you believe same-sex attraction is sinful? Are there any conditions under which it is not sinful? Is unwanted sexual attraction sinful?
- Is it a problem for a person to identify as a homosexual, gay, LGBTQ+, or same-sex attracted (SSA) Christian? Why is it a problem or not a problem?
- Would you allow a person who identifies as a homosexual, gay, LGBTQ+, or SSA Christian to become a church member? If yes, how do you justify this using the Bible?
- Would you pursue church discipline for a member who is a practicing homosexual?
- May a celibate homosexual, gay, LGBTQ+, or SSA person be ordained a teaching elder, ruling elder, or deacon? If yes, how do you justify this using the Bible?
- What are your thoughts on social justice? Is it evangelism, or something else?
- Is social justice about equality? What kind of equality? Should Christians promote that equality? Should the government support that equality? Should it be taught in our public, private, and Christian schools?
- Does the Bible adequately define justice? Does it give legal preference to the poor and oppressed?
Women in Leadership
- Do you believe women may lead in corporate worship?
- Should women be allowed to serve communion in corporate worship?
- Should women be allowed to lead in prayer in corporate worship?
- Should women be allowed to read scripture in corporate worship?
- Should women be ordained as deacons? Should they be ordained as ruling elders and teaching elders? If yes, how do you defend this using the Bible?
- Are you a member of the National Partnership?
Disappointed in your pastor’s answers? His answers should be evaluated in consultation with other church members while considering information on this website. You may then consider the options you’ll find here.